Candidate Forum AD 41 Hosted by League of Women Voters - Ripon WI Area and Ripon College Center for Politics and the People
Candidate Forum SD 14 Hosted by League of Women Voters - Ripon WI Area and Ripon College Center for Politics and the People
People with smoking-related chronic medical conditions like heart disease, diabetes, and lung disease are at greater risk for getting seriously ill form COVID-19. Smoking increases their risk because fingers come into contact with lips and possbily even contaminated cigarettes.
Tobacco Addiction is a Social Justice Issue
- 29% of Veterans use tobacco products
- 1 in 3 Wisconsin adults unable to afford health care smoke cigarettes
- A lack of paying livable wages puts Wisconsinites at a higher risk of smoking cigarettes
- Lack of access to health services has resulted in 70% of U.S. adults starting to smoke while experiencing homelessness
- Adults living with a disability experience discrimination that contributes to their smoking rate being double that of the general population.
- 31% of Wisconsin adults with COPD, including non-smokers, are exposed to secondhand smoke at home.
- Long distances separating patients from health care contribute to 20% of peple in rural Wisconsin smoking vs. 16% of those in urban areas.
Educational Resources for Schools
The Next Sustainability and Policy Meeting is:
November 18, 2020
Wisconsin is Better Smoke-Free
New Survey Links Vaping to Higher COVID-19 Risk
Cigarette Health Warning Requirements
Federal Government Raises Minimum age of Sale of Tobacco Products from 18 to 21
Enforcement Actions Against Illegally Marketed Tobacco Products
Severe Lung Cases Updates
The Wisconsin Department of Health Services and local health departments are investigating a cluster of people with severe lung disease who all reported recent vaping.
Visit Wisconsin Department of Health Services or the CDC for the latest updates.
Youth Tobacco Survey Data
Why Youth Possession and Use Penalties are Ineffective and Inequitable
Inviting Youth to Take Action Against Tobacco
FACT is a youth-led movement that takes action and creates change. Teens expose Big Tobacco’s dirty secrets and deceptive practices by empowering Wisconsin teens to stand up to an industry that is lying to them.